Sunday, August 24, 2008

The importance of a reservation

I am sure that many of you already realize the importance of making reservations of where you and your family will sleep when on vacation. This is something that we Gordons haven't quite learned. From sleeping in a filthy cat ridden hotel (did I mention I am allergic to cats) to setting up camp at midnight, or paying $250 a night for a regular room in Salt Lake, you would think we would have learned. We chose to take the kids camping this weekend. We got in the car and started driving. As we were heading down the interstate towards the y to Idaho Falls or McCammon, we decided to head right (because last time we went left).
30 minutes into the trip we decided to head to Bear Lake. Then we needed to narrow where in Bear Lake? We called and invited my dad and Gail to join us for dinner. We decided that while we wouldn't NEED a reservation, we would use our high tech blackberry phones to do so.
Apparently the Utah Parks and Rec is only open M-Th (for those who do plan ahead!) "That's fine" I think "It's not like anybody would be camping--Utah and Idaho schools are back in session, and next weekend is Labor Day." All the campgrounds were full except for this one by RATTLESNAKE ROAD. The name was enough to keep me from sleeping there, but there were also lots of rocks, and no trees.
We decided to follow dad and Gail back to their house in Kemmerer. We used their firepit to roast hot dogs. Nate and grandpa T-bone slept outside. Apparently there were tons of stars out. My dad has been a scout leader for several years and knows the diffrent stars, so they had fun talking until midnight. I stayed insided (due to a sinus infection), and Sean stayed inside to help with Jaron and Emily so I could sleep (isn't he awesome!!).
Saturday we had fun playing at the park, riding 4 wheelers, soaking in the hot tub, and Nate earned money helping grandpa wax the boat. They even convinced me to go on the 4 wheelers. It reminded me of when Sean and I were first married. We would take his aunts jetskis to American Falls and ride them together. While I have calmed down a lot, I still did have fun racing him on them. We headed home Saturday night so we could be home for church. We are very tired, but we made it on time, and enjoyed the lessons.

3 comments:

Ramsey said...

How wonderful to be so spontaneous! I think your kids will look back fondly on vacations like this!

steph said...

I got your link through Heathers blog. It sounds like you are having a wonderful summer! You are definitely creating memories for a lifetime!

Cami said...

How fun...I am not very spontaneous when it comes to camping since it takes me 3 days to prepare! How fun!!!