Memories of my Grandma, her home and her sense of humor
Everyone in Pocatello knows of someone who has lived in Soda Springs. When I would meet people, I would assume that everyone would know my family members. Often people would know my grandma. “Oh, she was my lunch lady,” or “Was she the pretty Hawaiian lady!” I was proud to be her granddaughter, and loved the fact that people not only knew her, but also respected her.
As a girl, she would always make silk nightgowns for me and my cousin Danielle. They were the best, because they were so soft and made me feel pretty. To top it all off I would have one in red, blue, peach, green, cream, almost every color a girl could ever want.
Her skills were not limited to sewing. She is famous in my book for her chocolate covered cherries. They are the best in the whole world. As far as I know, nobody else can make them like her. Perhaps this is because of her recipes. I once dropped in and she had fresh bread. It tasted so good, and I had never seen anyone make homemade bread. I desired this skill, so I asked for the recipe. She did not have one! It was all in her head. “Oh, you need some flour and yeast, and a little bit of salt….oh, and some butter, and…” Needless to say, I still do not know how to make her bread.
In her home, I remember getting to play with the toys in the closet in the hall. I remember the birthday list hanging by the phone. I remember the oil rain lamp in the living room, and lying by the piano hearing my cousins and uncles play. I loved to spin on the kitchen chairs that still had the plastic on them. I loved the get drinks of water in the little blue kitchen cups.
She was always tickled about a new craft she had discovered. Taking old jewels and making a Christmas tree. Turning dollar bills into little shirts or rings. Taking a wash cloth and dish cloth and giving it as a gift of a “washer and dryer.” Giving a birthday card with the face of a $2 bill on top to trick you and saying I wish it could have been a hundred. When I was baptized, she crocheted me a duck that pooped out jelly beans.
My cousin Thad is about a week younger than me. It was always so funny because my birthday card was usually late always saying “Oops I got your birthday and Thads mixed up again this year.”
At family reunions, there was always a surprise for the kids. One year she made matching shirts for the boys. Another year she made “quillows”: lap quilts that you could fold into a pillow! FYI- I still have my quillow.
Family reunions were a good time. We rented the clubhouse outside of town. Aside from meals, a highlight was playing card games, the family talent show, milk can dinners, swimming, tennis, riding the pony, walks with Aunt Nancy, and one year we even had a pop machine!
It was always fun to “perform” for grandma, because everything I did was always so great to her. She loved all forms of music and was often singing a Disney or church song. A highlight to me was when she sang “I only have eyes for you” to my grandpa for their 50th Anniversary. She dressed up like a potato and would throw “eyes” at him.
It was awesome to go over to the school and play in the playground. During the winter we would even go sledding over there. Thanksgivings were always held at the school. It was always so fun to explore the school, use the gym mats, and of course play with the floor scooters!
I hear that she stole the show as Bloody Mary in the town play South Pacific. She was often preparing relief society lessons, or for luncheons with the Daughters of the Pioneers. What a great example of involvedness and service.
I remember at my baby shower her and Aunt Aloma giggling like little girls telling stories about how they were always called “those Call girls, and poor Aloma grew up to become a Hussey!” I loved seeing her laughing like that.
When my little girl was born, we named her Emily. Grandma was thrilled because that was her mothers name. Her mother was actually named Milly Milly. As a girl in Hawaii when she would be playing outside when it was time for dinner her mother would call for her “Eey, Milly Milly!” So when she moved here and was asked her name she referred to herself as Emily.
My children and I were able to visit her about a month ago. She was having a pretty good day, and while she didn’t completely remember all of us, she was so sweet to us, and let us feel so loved and welcome. When she visited my little Emily, she smiled with tears of joy and sweetly said “Emily is my momma’s name!”
What a sweet wonderful blessing it was to have spent time with her. Every memory I have with her is a sweet one, and my only regret was that I did not have more. I am so grateful for a heavenly father who loves me. I am grateful that he has created for us a plan that we can be eternal families. I know that our work is only just beginning here on Earth, and that we have so many blessings yet to come.
My grandma has been a great servant to Heavenly Father, and will continue to do so. I will miss her, but mostly I am happy for her. She will get to be her her “momma”, father, son, siblings, and so many others that she has been missing. Grandpa has been so loving and compassionate to her. What a great example to us all of unselfish love, and she totally deserved it.
My heart is full of gratitude and love. Thank you for being a blessing in my life grandma!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Michelle,
I did not know that May Phelps was your grandmother...such a sweet lady. Justin Lish was my daughter's softball coach this past summer. Sorry for your loss...
Post a Comment