Jarons class has been learning about potatoes in school. As part of their studies, they went to the potatoe expo in Blackfoot. Today we went to a farmers field to glean potatoes. They will be donating them to the foodbank.
When I was about 12 I did this with a youth group. I remember the potatoes being few and far between. With this memory in mind, I decided to pick up all the potatoes (even the ones the size of my thumb.) I did manage to fill a bag (probably a hundred potatoes). I kept noticing that I was giving the kids bags constantly. The crazy thing was that they were getting full!...with BIG ones, too. Before long, bags were breaking, and I was running to help kids. Then I noticed these rows full of large potatoes. The kids were sitting by the row just loading them into the bags!
Once again memories from my youth come back to me wandering away from the group finding huge potatoe after potatoe. Then getting in trouble because I was digging where they had not been harvested yet. To myself I am thinking "Oh no, they are going to get in trouble." I then notice that it is not just the kids doing it, but all the adults as well!
I kept making comments like "Oh, looks like they missed a few, or You call this GLEANING? or do you really think it is okay to get THESE ones." **Okay, so I admit I am a paranoid dork!** But they all just laughed at me! As we were driving to the spud cellar, the thought occured to me.."I bet he left those out so it would be a little easier for the kids, afterall, they are going to the foodbank!"
After we took the kids back to school, Sean and I went back and got some for ourselves. And by then of course, they had all been harvested! I was right (eventually), that farmer was just being a really nice guy to us! So needless to say, I worked very hard for those potatoes...the first time out of stupidity, the second time because I really WAS gleaning! I am sore and tired, but so very greatful for the wonderful experience with Jaron and Sean, and for the blessing of those potatoes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
potatoes, potatoes, potatoes... Does that sum up your day? It sounds like a great field trie and a good WORK experience for them!
That's so cool you went along. If I'd have known that I might have made a bigger effort to go myself! My kids had a blast! What great experiences they have at theri school!
how, fun. I have potatos coming out my ears...I took a bag to the neighborhood party and ended up bringing the whole bag back.
This brings back so many family memories...our yearly trip out to Dave and Roxanne's cellars. I loved those funny looking potatoes with all of the funny shapes....Grandpa was always so prepared with tons of boxes.
Post a Comment