As you may know we are the proud owners of a cocker spaniel. His name is Charlie. (The kids call him Charles for short--haha) He is a pest, but we do really love him. We have been Golden Retriever owners in the past, and I have to say that aside from being large, and all that accompanies that, they are quite easy animals to own.
Cockers are pretty easy too.
We may not be premier pet owners, because first of all we are kid owners, so while he is not a pampered show dog, I think he knows he is loved, and a part of our family.
Apparently cockers are supposed to be shaved on top and curly on the bottom. Well, Charlie is curley everywhere, including the callic on top of his head. Cockers should be pretty easily recognized as such, but I am constantly asked "What kind of dog his he?" When I say cocker, I hear things like "Really?!? I have had cockers my whole life, and I have never seen one that looks like him."
While we haven't had ear problems, because of his floppy ears, they tend to get ear infections quite often, so you should hold them strait out or on top of his head so that they can get air. CRAZY!
The other huge issue with cockers is that they have 3 (yes 3) eyelids. Often this 3rd eyelid, which make tears, with pop out creating a cherry eye.
Last month while Sean was gone for 2 weeks, Charlie developed Cherry Eye. When I called the vet, they said it is purely a cosmetic issue, but to bring him right in for $400 surgery--ya right! So I found out on the internet that you could massage it in. I tried and Nate tried to no avail. By the time Sean got home it had been out too long, so now he had a permant Cherry Eye.
It is not quite as obvious now, but at first it was so red you could see it from afar. Charlie had gotten loose and loves to visit the neighbors, so he went down to visit the Hancocks. They are so sweet to Charlie. The oldest girl said to Emily "What happened to his eye?"
Emily replied so matter of factly "OH, HE'S GOT A CHARLIE EYE!!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment