Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sunbeams

It is official. I am the worst substitute sunbeam teacher EVER. I was asked to teach the sunbeams. There were at least 10 (the fact that I don't know EXACTLY how many CHILDREN I had is pretty scary!) 3 and 4 year olds. So fortunatly Sean helped me out. You would think that 2 parents in their 30s could keep it together....Think Again! There was always at least 2 kids out of their seats or crying at all times.
The lesson was on "I am thankful Heavenly Father gave me the gifts of smell and taste." So I let the kids smell and taste salt and sugar. Everyone with the exception of this sweet little girl named Summer, the kids agreed that the sugar tasted better. I then let them smell a spoon and a toy (I don't really know why, but it was in the bag.)
About that time the kids lost interest, so I cracked out the secret weapon---Crayons and paper. (This is the only part of Primary lessons that I can give with confidence.) The funny thing is that sometimes coloring can take a good amount of time, and sometimes not. Then the potty needs began. So I took 3 little girls to the bathroom, and when we returned coloring time was pretty much over. I leaned to Sean and said what time is it, only to find that we still had 15 minutes!
So I had the brilliant idea to take the kids outside to smell the flowers. Who would have thought that our church doesn't have ANY flowers. So after sniffing a couple evergreens, the kids started getting cold and began to scatter. "You broke our promise! You said you would all hold your partners hand and be reverent" I said. I soon realized that I was actually being more disruptive of the kids, and quietly herded then into the classroom.
Still 1 minute left of class: "Lets sing our favorite primary song." Head, shoulders, knees, and toes. 3 times. Then I am a Child of God (not a good attention getter for 3 year olds.) After about 1/3 thru I realized that that was counterproductive. Once again, a brillant idea. "Hey we are sunbeams!" Lets all hold hands in a cirle and move (Like ring around the rosie) and jump on sunBEAM! Yeah! I had redeemed myself. Now children were getting picked up. I was getting coloring sheets out the the appropriate artists. When a sweet little girl named Taylee said "Where did you put the flowers I picked for my mom?"
Hey I can handle this..."Oh I kept them over here on my table. Heading to the table, I was surrounded by anxious 3 and 4 year olds, when I tripped over them. I started to fall on them and wanted to minimize the damage, so I went to brace myself against the table, only to still fall on them and push Taylee into the table. It honestly is a blur, but I do remeber crying, and when I hugged her, she had cracked her forehead open.
Needless to say, 3 stitches later, she is okay now. Her mom thinks it was more tramatic to me than it was to her. (I hope she is right.)
So I guess my days of teaching tots are thru. I knew there was a reason why I didn't teach Primary.

Here is the rest of the story. http://sean-and-brooke.blogspot.com/2008/06/sunbeams-is-dangerouswho-knew.html

4 comments:

Ramsey said...

I think you did a great job with all the different activities you tried with the sunbeams. Sometimes a little bad luck is impossible to avoid! I think you are wonderful!!

Heather said...

Yeah, I think a little chaos is the norm for sunbeams!! Sorry about the little accident, you poor thing! You're such a sweetheart, those kids will love you no matter what!!

Blue Ribbon Family said...

Oh, I am so sorry! That is always scuh a hard thing (the accident and teaching in primary!), but I am sure it will be forgotten! *hugs*

Cami said...

You are great...it wouldn't be sunbeams without a little blood?!?!?!